Sleeping Coyote

Project:  Sleeping Coyote
Begun:   July 12, 2019

This painting comes with a lot of love since my beautiful dog is no longer here - but I love coyotes. Ever since rapid housing started in our neighbourhood cutting into their habitat they have shown up even in our backyard. They are beautiful creatures- sort of a cross between wolf and fox with their silver and russet fur. I feel such a deep calling to paint this portrait of one of them.  This is first time I’m going from my 12x16 panels to a 23x32” canvas creating the effect of a nearly life size portrait in a natural setting. The emotional impact is greater so it needs a greater expression.  I really want to bring Nature energies into the home.

You can also follow my stages on instagram #yvonnekeoghartist


I began by using ceramic mastik for the rocks (I love texture) and a simple charcoal sketch:
stage 1

Next using black and white acrylic I worked out my values and perspective and a bit of a boulder for coyote to lean his head on.
stage 2

Then I painted the rocks with acrylic - I love this "sand" colour.
stage 3

I added some special effects with more acrylic paint.  I think this is going to be an autumn or late summer story.  I can't make up my mind what is lying before coyote - either some fallen leaves or the remnants of a meal - will figure it out later.
stage 4

Next stage - painting the fur - I've switched to oils for the rest of the coyote.  Here is a first pass with fur, more to come.  He's too skinny.
stage 5

Here I fixed a few errors and I'm happy with it but the head is not finished yet.  He looks so comfy :)
stage 6
Completed painting:
Sleeping Coyote (finished)
Sleeping Coyote (closeup)







No comments:

Post a Comment